Context plays a vital role as we engage in distance and online theological education. There is a broad, global educational context, made of trends, theories, debates and new terminologies. But there are also contexts of diversity that relate
to culture, available resources and the divides of digital literacy, urban and rural settings and of theological education that is either more conceptual or more practical. And, of course, distance and online education also open
new exciting possibilities to situate learning into many different local contexts.
This is a Foundations in D/OTEC course
which introduces basic contextual competences in distance and online theological education as defined by the Distance and Online Theological Education Competence framework (see D/OTEC, category
The specific competences developed in this course are:
- The ability to explain key terms in D/OTE
- The ability to explain what is meant by context and diversity in D/OTE
- The ability to explain the importance of context and diversity in D/OTE and of audience analysis
- The ability to list unique opportunities for D/OTE in terms of situated learning
- Key terms in D/OTE
- What is meant by context and diversity in D/OTE?
- Examples of context in Nigeria and India
- Situating learning in context
- Developing learner analysis surveys
This course is co-authored by an international team representing six countries: Victor Priest Chukwuma (Nigeria),
Paul Clark (US), Pauline Golder (Australia),
Diane Hockridge (Australia),
Eszter Ernst-Kurdi (Cameroon/Hungary), Billy Sichone (Zambia)
and Taimaya Ragui (India).
This is a self-paced online course.
4 hours of learning
ICETE Academy points
To complete the course you need to engage with a set of instructional resources and videos, produce a learner analysis survey and pass a self-grading quiz on key terms. Before taking this foundational level course in the D/OTE series you need to complete the 2-hour preparatory level course
Competences for Distance and Online Theological Education.
Course enrolment key